Formulas to help you figure out what you need
Here are some simple formulations to calculate how much product you will need. Or if you prefer, simply contact us and we will be happy to assist you.
Squares & Rectangles
- Area: Length x Width = Square Feet (sq. ft.)
(Example: Length = 6', Width = 4'. 6' x 4' = 24 sq.ft.)
- Depth: Inches Deep ÷ 12 = Decimal Depth.
(Example: Depth = 3"/12 = .25)
- Cubic Feet: Area x Decimal Depth = Cubic Feet (cu. ft.)
(Example: 24 sq.ft. x .25 = 6 cu.ft.)
- Tons Needed: Weight per Cubic Foot x Cubic Feet needed.
(Example: Product = 100 lbs. per cubic foot. 6 cubic feet needed.
100 x 6 = 600 lbs. ÷ 2000 = .3 Tons)
- Yards Needed: Cubic Feet ÷ 27.
(Example: 6 cu.ft./27 = .22 Cu. Yds. (Cubic Yards) or 1/4 Cu. Yd.
- Area: Diameter x .7854 = Square Feet (sq. ft.)
(Example: Diameter =12' x 12' x .7854 = 113.1 sq.ft.)
- Circumference: Diameter x 3.1416. = Linear Feet
(Example: Diameter = 12' x 3.1416 = 37.7 Linear Feet.
Please note: Circumference is the running feet around the border of a circle.)
- A ton of most loose stone products cover roughly 80 sq.ft., 3" deep.
- A yard always covers 108 sq.ft., 3" deep.
- Always figure compaction for areas over 6" deep. Compaction for sand and soil is about 15 to 20%. On most products a ton is equal to 75% of a cubic yard.
For other shapes or assistance, please fax, e-mail or bring a drawing to one of our locations.